When it comes to ripe papaya, you either love it or you don’t. There is no in between. In our family, I am the only person who doesn’t find the smell of ripe papaya offensive. Everyone else will tolerate a little in a smoothie but it stops right there. Green is not only less offensive but is loved in salad and soups.
Green Papaya and Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 lb chicken preferably with bones
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 green papaya, peeled and cubed
- In medium large pot with oil over medium heat, add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Toss in chicken and season with salt. Cook to brown chicken on all sides.
- Add the papaya. Stir it around until well combine.
- Pour in 6 cups of water (more or less depending on how much more broth you like the soup to be) Bring to a boil. Skim any impurities.
- Reduce heat and let soup simmer until papaya is tender. Adjust seasoning with salt or fish sauce as needed.